Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Sour On Simmons

I see Bill Simmons has taken the "it doesn't count because it isn't the Superbowl" line following the Colts destruction of the Pats on Monday night. While I agree that the Colts have a stupendously easy schedule for a team that went 12-4 last year, and that the Pats are beaten up, Simmons peppered his article with cheap shots and conspiracy theories. To me, that was a Pantheon game for Peyton Manning. If, and this is still a BIG IF in my mind, the Colts win the Superbowl, that game will be the one everyone remembers. I mean, Peyton Manning ran with the ball, and even threw a touchdown while running outside the pocket, for God' sake. Normally, there is as good a chance of that happening as me voting for the Liberal Party of Canada. It just doesn't happen. So why not admit that Peyton played great, compliment him and his teammates, and call it a day? This is what we get instead:

Forty points and a gazillion first downs later, Manning was smiling on the sidelines, his teammates were pretending they liked him, ABC was rolling their fake MasterCard commercial and the fans were pouring out of Gillette Stadium. The torch, for all intents and purposes, had been passed. After four arduous years, various rule changes to help their passing game, and a cream-puff schedule highlighted by a fortuitous bye before last night's game, the Colts (and the NFL) finally got their wish.

Monday night's story was obviously Manning and the Colts, who look like a legitimate threat to go 19-0, with the added bonus that the NFL probably won't have to institute its "Indy gets to use 12 guys on defense and play 16 home games" rule changes that were in the works for 2006.

And they should be well-rested from a schedule that could conceivably have them playing three-fourths of their games against non-playoff teams (which makes perfect sense because they were 12-4 last season).

Of course, they still have to win the Super Bowl.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take a little nap and rest my head on my three Patriots Super Bowl DVDs.


***Update*** Here is Simmons a day later, addressing all of my (and apparently thousands of others) concerns.

5 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger The Armchair Quarterback said...

Simmons has a serious complex about the Colts and especially Manning. He resents the attention Manning has gotten the past few years even though it's the Pats who have been winning. Brady and the Pats have gotten their due but it's quite amusing to see the "victimization" going on in Bill's head.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

I never really noticed it until today, which is odd. Probably has something to do with the fact that the Colts never won until Monday. I couldn't believe the line about the NFL finally getting their wish. I mean, we aren't talking about a team from New York or Los Angeles, or some other huge market, which is when the conspiracy theory about a league preferring one team to another normally comes out.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

BTW, thanx for coming by the site, Mike. I have added Armchair Quarterback to our Football Pages list. Maybe Alex can talk about College Football with someone now. It is all pops and whistles to me.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger sacamano said...

What ever made you think that Simmons was a non-partisan sports reporter?

He is unabashedly pro Red Sox, Pats, Celtics, and Bruins.

Heck, I'd have been suprised if he had come out and congratulated the Colts for beating up his Pats. Paranoia is his bread and butter.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Oh I know what he is. That is why I never understand when Kimmis complains that he only talks about the Red Sox and Patriots. But he is usually more gracious. Maybe not. I dunno. He just seemed petty this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home