Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Dios Mio! El Diablo!!

Parts 4 and 5 of the hockey predictions are up at Battle of Alberta. I am very excited to see how things pan out tomorrow night I guess it's tonight). It has been a very long time since we have seen NHL hockey. Will fans embrace the teams? Will some stadiums be half empty? I am pretty sure what the reaction will be in Canada, and I can't entirely say that I Iike it, but I am more interested in seeing the highlights from American centres.

Two nights ago, I caught the classic Seinfeld episode "The Face-Painter." Broadcast in May, 2005, the episode, I assume, occurs during the great seven game series between the Rangers and Devils in 1994. It is classic Dave Puddy. "Hey, you gotta let them know you're out there, this is the playoffs." It is a great episode, fully deserving of its place in the Seinfeld sports pantheon. I am no expert in matters Seinfeld, unlike Sacamano and Wheely, but the ESPN3 list seems to cover all the greats. I would have placed Kramer's decking of Mickey Mantle and George giving batting tips to Jeter and Williams in the top ten, but that is just me. The top three is assuredly a lock. The Second Spitter episodes are two of the best Seinfeld episodes ever, regardless of their connection to sports. And the episode where Frank Costanza lays in to Steinbrenner is the stuff that dreams are made of. What fan wouldn't like the chance to rip into their favorite team's owner?

Frank: What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?! He had 30 home runs and over 100 RBIs last year. He's got a rocket for an arm. You don't know what the hell you're doin'!

Steinbrenner: Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying "Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home