Friday, October 07, 2005

I Coulda Been A Contender

This past week, the Texas Rangers hired the youngest GM in the history of Major League Baseball. Jon Daniels is yet another Ivy Leaguer, and yet another protege of John Hart. I really have had only one thought about this appointment, and it is as follows: when did being a general manager of a professional sports team become a viable option for recent university graduates? When I was filling out those career aptitude tests in my grade eleven Career And Life Management course, I don't remember coming across this choice. Was it stuck between pilot and turkey handler? Had I known, I would have planned my life and education path more accordingly.

The best quote in the story comes from Rangers owner Tom Hicks, who is really the guy who should be fired for running an awful business. Anyways, Hicks is quoted as saying, "I think his youth is an asset to us. ... I did my first leveraged buyout when I was about that age. Young people can kind of do things in this life."

Young people can kind of do things in this life? Wow, like, do ya mean it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home