Monday, October 03, 2005

An Open Letter To Tom Benjamin

Dear Tom,

Today you decided to take a shot at Oilers owner Cal Nichols. Somehow, the idea that the Oilers will need a new stadium-IN TEN YEARS-is yet another example of how evil and awful NHL owners are. This prompted you to speak on behalf of the "good people of Edmonton" and attack the character of Mr. Nichols.

Are you kidding me, Tom? Do you have even the slightest comprehension of how much time and effort, as well as money, Mr. Nichols has put in to keep the Oilers in Edmonton? Do you know how respected Mr. Nichols is by many in our community as a result of this work? There was a massive article about him in the Edmonton Journal on Sunday called "The Man Who Saved The Oilers." Does this seem to you like something that would be written about an disliked public figure? I make no claim that Cal has in fact saved the NHL by saving the Edmonton Oilers, as one of my colleagues has done here, but neither would I claim that "Cal's out there hustling his community like a rookie," like you have done.

I think it would be best, Tom, if you just stuck with what you know best, and that is speaking on behalf of yourself. As a good citizen of Edmonton, and an occasional reader of your site, I resent you of all people speaking on my behalf. You aren't exactly a fan of our organization, as this post, among many, illustrates. I have always taken it with a grain of salt, viewing it as friendly trash talk borne out of a jealousy of past Oiler successes. I have also taken your insane rants about Gary Bettman and NHL owners with a grain of salt, Tom. It is understandable that you would have a problem with Millionaires, considering Vancouver's past history with them. But it does get a little tired, Tom, and I would only ask that you leave the citizens of Edmonton, at least this one, out of it. In the grand scheme of things, I am quite happy with my team, and our owners, and don't need your help in either regard (see how I only speak on behalf of myself here?). If I do need help from rookie hustlers, however, I will be sure to give you a call.

Sincerely,

Andy Grabia
Good Person of Edmonton

1 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Tom L said...

Andy,

Very Nice. Tom B. has gone completely off the deep end with his hatred of the NHL. It's become nearly clinical. I used to think he was actually thinking before he posted, but it's obvious to me now that he's in love with the attention he gets by blogging his OCD.

He's like the Ray Finkle of the Hockey Bloggers Community....

Though I'm sure he doesn't look quite as good as Sean Young....

Ta,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home