Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Please Baby, Please Baby, Please Baby, Baby, Baby, Please

I have spent the past five days moving into a new pad, and have therefore been out of commission. I didn't even have internet or cable access until today. I never felt so alone and scared, like a baby exiting the womb. What is this place, without 24 hour sports stations and online fantasy football? Am I in Hell?

Moving is always a pain in the ass, but I was able to get some sports related action out of it. I went back to the folks place to pick up some boxes and containers that pre-date Mars Blackmon, and stumbled upon some lost goodies. I have way more sports cards than I remember, as was able to stare adoringly at some of the finer ones. My rookie cards for Joe Sakic, Pavel Bure, Reggie White, John Smoltz, Bobby Bonilla and Doc Gooden. My John Smoltz card with the face of Tom Glavine. I even discovered that I had a rookie card for Gary Sheffield, which I did not remember owning. Throw in my favorite card--Chris Sabo with those sweet goggles--and I was a very happy man. It is always funny to look back at your collection to see players who you and the trading card company thought would be awesome players. They deserve to be in bike-spokes, but you still have their cards in protective wrappers or hard-case shells.

Speaking of which, here is a good question for all readers: What is your worst, or most embarrassing sports collectible moment? I have three. The first is giving my Wayne Gretzky autograph to a girl in the sixth grade so that she would like me. I never even got a kiss for that one, let alone an outside-the-shirt-feel up. The second is putting my Paul Coffey, Mark Messier and Jari Kurri rookie cards into my bike spokes. I did it with all my early cards, but those three really, really hurt. The last one is trading all of my Ken Griffey Jr. rookie cards for some Bobby Bonilla rookie cards, as well as the Dwight Gooden rookie card. It is been mitigated by the fact that Griffey's injuries have hobbled his career, and that the NQ factor of owning a Gooden rookie card is almost 10, but it could have been the sports card equivalent of the BoSox trading Ruth to the Yankees.

***Update*** I also started reading The Bad Guys Won by Jeff Pearlman today. He has name-dropped Michael Lewis and related a story about Strawberry and Gooden flashing their penises on a plane within the first twenty pages, so I am confident I will enjoy the book (even though I will have to read about poor Bill Buckner yet again).

2 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Blogger sacamano said...

Mine is the fact that I still keep Bo Kimble's rookie card in plastic, just in case . . .

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Matt said...

After we had one for the set, we used to smush Gretzky (and other Oiler) cards in the muck on the school bus floor.

I'm not actually embarrassed about this; I just thought I'd mention that I left four-figures worth of my own property mushed on the bus floor to be swept away forever by a cruddy pushbroom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home