Monday, November 14, 2005

What The Buck?

Bug: Ever hear of a tune-up? Hee hee hee hee hee.
Buck: Ah, heh heh heh. Ever hear of a ritual killing? Ah, heh heh heh heh heh.


Apparently Joe Buck has started a trend of announcers jinxing teams and players. Tonight, following upon the heels of their earlier jinxing of the Cowboys against the Redskins in Week 2, John Madden and Al Michaels jinxed my Eagles. Some time early in the fourth quarter, the Monday Night Football announcers mentioned that the Eagles hadn't lost a game when leading by more than 10 points in over 30 games (36 was the exact number, I think). Then Michaels laughed and made some glib remark about them maybe "kiboshing" the game for the Eagles. As soon as he said it, I knew the game was over. Forcing the vomit back down my throat, I watched the Cowboys score on a pass to Terry "I've Got The Conk" Glenn (who the Eagles had put in single coverage for the first time all night) and then take the lead and the game on an awful throw by Donovan McNabb that Roy Williams picked off and returned for a score. All within about a minute. As a side note, Madden kept calling Terry Glenn "Aaron" Glenn, thereby placing him in the Senile Sports Announcer Hall of Fame with Hockey Night In Canada's Bob Cole.

To add "insult to insult"--another example of senility uttered by Michaels last Monday--McNabb was hurt on the play, likely reinjuring his "sports hernia." That places the Eagles chances of making the Superbowl at even greater odds than the Pats, who have also been crippled by injuries (though not by anyone with a middle name of Eldorado). Both teams might even miss the playoffs, although I think the Pats will squeeze in at 8-8. I wonder if that has ever happened before, actually: two teams missing the playoffs a year after playing in the Superbowl? I know the Pats missed after their win in 2001, but that is only one team. I wonder if it has ever happened to both teams?

Anyways, my Eagles lost, McNabb is hurt, and I hate sports announcers. I hate Kevin's brother for beating me in my fantasy football league this week (even though my score would have beaten almost every single other player), especially since it was done with Brian Westbrook, who plays for the team I was cheering for. And I hate Kevin, because I know he was giggling like a schoolgirl while I was suffering all night.

The good news is I love John Hughes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home