Monday, December 19, 2005

NFL Rankings: Monday, December 19, 2005

Week 15 isn't in the books yet, but with the only remaining game pitting the bad (Baltimore) against the worse (Green Bay), our picks for this week are. Grabia is away this week, so only Kevin and I will be weighing in. First, a few comments about the week that was:

• The Colts are unbeaten no more. Despite San Diego's best attempt to give the game away in the second half, they managed a comeback, and iced the game on an 83-yard TD run by their backup Running Back. The Charger defense looked great, and gave Peyton Manning a beating all afternoon. I'd say that, no matter what John Madden may say, this is evidence that blitzing Manning often is a good idea, something I mentioned in my Colts-Pats diary from last month.


"Hey, sorry about the whole thing with my brother last year."
"It's cool, sorry 'bout your undefeated season."


• One other thing about the game. Chalk another win up for the Chargers franchise in their battle with the Manning family. Remind me why Eli was so opposed to playing for them?

• New England looked great in their blowout win over the Bucs, while Tampa's protection of Chris Simms made Indy's O-line look like a brick wall in comparison. I liked the look of the Patriots for the first time all year; they're hitting their stride at the perfect time.

• I caught some of the Bears game, and liked how they were playing. Their offense looked invigorated after Grossman came off the bench, and they kept Vick and the Falcons in check all day. Sure, they may not have beaten an AFC team all year, but they can hang with any team in the NFC - and that could be enough to punch their ticket to Detroit.

• Finally, Houston wins a game, which should put to rest any thoughts people had about them throwing the season to get Reggie Bush. I'll be rooting for them to win at least once more - in week 17 against San Francisco. A Helix High reunion would be just what the doctor ordered for the Niners, as far as this fan is concerned.

• I've given up on predicting how the NFC East teams will fare week in-week out. The Giants have a tendency for blowing games they should win, quite routinely, while the Cowboys and Redskins either come up big or completely flat. I will say I enjoyed the 'Skins blowout of the Cowboys immensely. God I hate Dallas.

Now, on to the picks:

Alex Abboud
Honourable Mention: San Diego SuperChargers
5. Cincinnati Bengals
4. Jacksonville Jaguars
3. Denver Broncos
2. Seattle Seahawks
1. Indianapolis Colts

Kevin Kimmis
Honourable Mention: Da Bears (with a shout out to Greg)
5. Carolina Panthers
4. Cincinnati Bungles (with 100% less celebration)
3. Denver Broncos
2. Indianapolis Colts (who I punish for not being perfect, like me)
1. THE Seattle Seahawks

Picks following Week 14 can be seen here.

7 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Alex said...

I'm mad that I forgot to pack my Patriots jersey for my Christmas trip home. It would have certainly made an appearance for Sunday Ticket one of these weekends.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger The Armchair Quarterback said...

Is anything predictable in the NFC? I guess the Seahawks should be a lock with the record they have but even though I would peg them as the favorite for the conference I would not be surprised to see them go down in the playoffs. --If the Patriots go the SuperBowl again I may have to stick my head in a blender.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Greg said...

That'a boy Kevin. Although, the Bears should be #1 on your list. Here's my list.

1. Da Bears
2. Kevin Kimmis
3. Colts
4. Broncos
5. Bengals
.
.
.
153. Country Music
154. Colonoscopy
155. Alex Abboud (no Bears, no problem. You're 155.)
156. Andy Grabia (no list this week ... boo!)
157. Polar Bear attack

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Alex said...

"Worse Than a Colonoscopy"? Can I put this on my resume?

I'm hoping for a Patriots-Bears Super Bowl. After the Pats win, I may have to flee the continent to escape Kevin and Greg's wrath.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I sure do love those Bears, Kevin. You betcha. As for my Christmas cards, I actually photoshopped myself and Adewale Ogunleye as jedi knights fighing off storm troopers. Only we're on horseback. And I'm wearing spandex. And a suede vest. But there was no mention of Brokeback Mountain. That's kinda gay, don't you think?

And Alex ... at least you're better than a polar bear attack. That's gotta mean something, right?

Oh, and what do the other two guys on this site do? It's all Kevin, Alex and Andy. But there are 5 of you listed. Are the other two the Turtle and Johnny Drama of Sports Matters? You Canadians are crazy.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger The Zoner said...

The Bears killed the Panthers. You have to rank them above Carolina. Stephen Davis needed new pants at halftime because he pissed himself when the Bears D was rolling in on him.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

156th on the list? I would be angry, except for the fact that I am checking this from a resort in Puerto Vallerta. Sucks to be me, I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home