Thursday, February 02, 2006

Back Of The Card

As promised, here are three more tantalizing questions to ponder. Yes, one of them involves Barry Bonds. Discuss amongst yourselves. And no peeking.

Since this is Super Bowl week, none of the questions are about football. There's enough of that already. Answers to follow next week.

1. Thirty-five men did it twice. Jim Quick and Bruce Froemming did it four times. Francis "Silk" O’Loughlin did it more than anyone in history. It is?

2. What was the last major league baseball club to racially integrate?

3. Barry Bonds is one of only two major league players to hit 50 home runs and steal 50 bases in a season. Who else has accomplished both milestones?

5 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Alex said...

1 - Since I haven't heard of any of the three players mentioned, I'm going to guess it's something that was more common in the deadball era. I'll go with stealing home plate.

2 - I'm assuming that you are asking which of the the Original 16 pre-expansion teams was the last to integrate, and that this isn't some sort of trick question. If I'm operating under the correct pretenses, then the answer is the Boston Red Sox. I believe it was 1959 by the time they integrated.

3 - This seems like too obvious of a guess, but the only name that comes to mind is Alex Rodriguez.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Matt said...

3. If not A-Rod, I'll guess Brady Anderson.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

1. Slept with Babe Ruth

2. Cleveland Indians

3. A-Rod. Bonds is the only player in the NL to ever do it. A-Rod, Bonds and Jose Canseco are the only players to ever break 40-40. Canseco was the first. I don't think many players have ever done the 30-30. Maybe 25 or so, if I am correct. I did a stolen bases post ages ago on the old blog. Don't know if I moved it here or not. Bonds and his old man are the only players to hit 30-30 in five separate seasons. I remember that. Here's one for you that I remember, Avi: name the only player to do 30-30 in the AL and NL in a single season?

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

1) I don't know... Umpire behind home plate of Game 1 of the World Series? Froemming and Quick are umpires...

2) Boston Red Sox. Pumpsie Green.

3) Brady Anderson sounds right to me.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Fred Dynamite said...

I'll agree with Andy, I can't find any record of Irish born players playing for Cleveland.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/birthplace.php?loc=Ireland

 

Post a Comment

<< Home