Saturday, February 18, 2006

Don't Stop Believin'

For a long time now, I have been trying to think of a way to incorporate some Journey onto this blog. I f--ing love Journey. There, I said it. One of the very first cd's I ever owned was Journey's "Greatest Hits". And when I lost that copy, I bought another. That sex-pot Steve Perry and his gravelly voice. The songs so full of power and longing and heartache. Journey rocks my ass off, and I don't care what anyone thinks. I don't stop believin'. Abboud's got my back on this one. He's a rocker, too.

But like I said, how do I find a way to put some Journey songs up on a sports blog? Sure, I could talk about how "Separate Ways" belongs in the pantheon of sports anthems. Or how "Don't Stop Believin'" would be a great montage song for highlights of any championship series. Maybe even slip in an argument that Steve Perry steals the spotlight from The Boss, Dan Akroyd(?) and those other people on"We Are The World". But would it be enough? Maybe I would be stretching it too far, you know? How could I possibly slip in videos of "Oh Sherry", "Faithfully" and "Open Arms", as well as great Journey homages on Scrubs, Family Guy and My Name Is Earl, without getting called on it? So imagine my surprise and sheer bliss today when, while looking for a Journey t-shirt to order online, I stumbled across a sports-related Journey incident. At last! I can finally post on my undying love for all things Journey!!! YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!


From Chicago, Steve Perry and the Chicago White Sox singing "Don't Stop Believin'" at their World Series parade.I would also like it to be noted, on the record, that AJ Pierzynski is now one of my Top 5 favorite baseball players, and a sure lock to get drafted onto my Fantasy Baseball Team. Watch him during the video. He is feeling the Perry! AJ is also a professional wrestling fan, even appearing in a match on TNA wrestling pay-per-view. How can you not worship at his altar of awesomeness? Forget the non-out in the World Series, and the fact that he has turned down an appearance at Wrestlemania 22 due to a "scheduling conflict" (the White Sox play the same night), AJ is my man.

***There is a real bonus for the true rockers out there. That Steve Perry picture at the top is actually wall-paper. Click on the image to get a kick ass goodie for your desktop.

8 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

1)AJ Pierzynski knee-ed the Giants' trainer in the nuts, which was decidedly an uncool maneuver.
2)If you like Steve Perry, then you simply must see Yacht Rock. Start with the first episode. You won't regret it.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Nathan Muhly said...

Is that Steve Perry a Grabia/Fireworks original? Listening to Andrea Boccelli sing at the NBA All-Star game (moving away from gangster image indeed) makes me wish Journey were there rocking it out.

I've shown some disdain for the group in the past, but I can't really dislike a group that has had such firm roots in the prog-rock genre AND had two songs on the Tron Soundtrack.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

That is not my handiwork, fortunately. I am too engrossed in work at this point to exert energy on a task as immense as that.

Thanks for the Yacht Rock tip, David. I will be sure to check it out. As for the Giants, they lost my respect once Wil Clark retired. I like my teams to have two assholes on them, and with only Bonds there now it just isn't the same.

Boccelli at the All-Star game? Wow. What's next? Is Art Garfunkel gonna play the Superbowl next year?

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger sacamano said...

I'm still over in England, but had to write in to commend you on the Journey post. Fantastic. I've had the videos on a constant loop for well over an hour.

Anyone who says they don't like Journey is a dirty damn lier.

I'm also relieved to see that you do, in fact, have some decent taste in music after that disastrous Neil Diamond recommendation.

Incidently, when did Randy from American Idol join Journey?

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

I just wish I could find the "My Name is Earl" video. It has a guy standing outside a girl's window doing the Lloyd Dobler from "Say Anything" ghetto blaster over the head dealy, with "Open Arms" belting out. Wicked.

As for the Neil Diamond, that album is good, man. "Sweet Caroline" it ain't, but the album is solid, sucka.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger sacamano said...

1) I'm drunk on UK pints again, and just had to return to listen to those songs. Killer.

2) The new Diamond CD blows. Here's the thing about Neil Diamond. I love him. You love him. But he is only really good when he is allowed to go crazy with the cheeze and really belt it out. And when he is doing that there is nobody that can touch him. He's the man. But, he just doesn't have the . . . whatever . . . to pull off the acoustic "I'm a serious introspective lyricist" kind of cd. He just doesn't. This isn't a criticism, it is just a fact. The guy can rock the house when he is cut loose, but when you strap him down and take away the glitz and splash, he loses his entire identity.

Whatshisname the produceer pulled a Tarantino-Travolta salvage job with Johnny Cash and figured he could do it with Diamond too, but alas, lightning doesn't strike twice. There isn't a single song on that CD that comes anywhere close to Cash's NIN cover, nevermind coming close to Forever in Blue Jeans.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Dude,

"Whatshisname" is Rick Rubin, probably the best producer in music.

I won't disagree with anything you say, because I can understand where you are coming from. I can see how people would hate this cd. I love it because it is so minimal, though. I think the cheese takes away from how talented of a songwriter the guy really is. Plus, a bunch of us sit around and sing his songs while playing just guitar, so it sounds normal to me.

Isn't "Separate Ways" the best video ever? All the side turns, the air-guitaring. Just awesome. It makes me want to reinact the video so badly.

How drunk can u be? Don't the pubs close after sevenses there? And did you get a chance to attend a FA Cup game?

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger sacamano said...

That's precisely the problem - I can't think of any adjective less appropriate for Neil Diamond than "minimialist". Frankly, I think the new album revealed what a lame song writer he actually is. Come on, give me five good lines of lyrics from the album. Do you guys sit around and play his new songs? Admit it, you're playing his old stuff.

Pubs do close absurdly early here, but there always seem to be other options. I haven't really figured out the system, but I've managed to find a way to get caught up in the flow, which works out well.

I didn't attend any football matches, but I was in Sheffield for the huge Sheffield Wednesday - Sheffield United Derby. Apparently something like 40% of the entire South Yorkshire Police were in Sheffield for the day. Downtown was an absolute mess. Fights in the stands, etc. I was advised by my colleages to not leave the house wearing anything even hinting of either blue or red.

Good times.

P.S. Whatshisname Rubin is hit'n'miss. Daniel Lanois hasn't missed yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home