Thursday, February 23, 2006

Gretzky On NBC

I wish I could find video of this, but I just watched an amazing conversation between Wayne Gretzky and Bob Costas on NBC. Very civil, very candid, and both men at their absolute best. Gretzky looked absolutely devastated. Costas said it perfectly: the poor play of the Coyotes, the death of his mother, the gambling scandal involving Tocchet and Janet, as well as the loss of the Canadian hockey team in the quarterfinals have all added up into an awful year for the Great One. I really wish people could see the interview. Even the post interview interview between Costas and Jim Lampley was great. Apparently Gretzky told the guys off camera that he felt pressured by Canadian media into leaving Steve Yzerman and Mario Lemieux off of the Olympic roster (he told Costas during the interview that their absence played a huge part in the team's poor performance, which I agree with, at least as about Mario). I find the pressuring bit a little hard to believe, since a) he didn't have a problem ignoring the clamour about Todd Bertuzzi being on the team and b) as Costas noted, he's Wayne Gretzky. Who the hell is really going talk to him about player talent?

If anyone comes across the video, please let me know.


***Update*** I have to admit, tonight is the first time I have watched NBC's coverage, and it has been great. They actually talked about other teams besides the Americans. In fact, they signed off the show talking about how good a day Canada had today (other than in men's hockey) and then faded out to the Canadian anthem.

***Update***Here is a press release, with a full transcript of last night's interview between Costas and Gretzky.

***Update*** NBC has the interview up on their main page. I can't find a link for the video itself, and I couldn't actually watch any of the video other than the advertisement before it. It may be because I have a Mac, and NBC videos never seem to work on my computer. More likely, as Robert Cleave (who pointed the link out to me in the comments section) said, it isn't being shown in Canada. This is likely due to the IOC's insane rules about who can show Olympic coverage where. Even Google video, which is showing clips of all the results, won't let me watch anything in Canada. Hopefully, it will clear up in a day, and the problem will be solved. Or maybe one of our American readers can download the video, put it up on a new site, and share?

Which reminds me, the Colbert Report did a great spoof of the IOC's stupid Olympic coverage last night. See here, then click on the clip called "Olympic Reenactment"

8 Comments:

At 5:47 AM, Blogger Alex said...

Do you expect anything less from the Great Bob Costas.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Is that a question.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger sacamano said...

I can't believe the man crush you clowns have for Costas. He is the worst. The worst.


His feigned sincerity is offensive.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

No, it really was a good interview. I admit I love the Costas, but the whole tone of the conversation was something to watch. Costas was prepared, had good questions, didn't shy away from asking the tough ones, but was fair and good to Gretzky. It was more like a conversation than a interview, really. Maybe it was the burning logs in the background, but I was drawn in like a moth.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The video is up on the NBC Olympics page now, although it has locked up Firefox on my craptacular laptop a few times.

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, disregard my last post. I got a message saying I couldn't view the video in my country (Canada). Apologies.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Hmm. I will try and dig it up somehow. Canada is my country, too, by the way. I wonder why we can't get it?

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

I have added more stuff into the main post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home