Sunday, March 12, 2006

Rock-A-Bye Bye, Sweet Edgerrin James

In a move that almost made me fall out of my chair, Edgerrin James has signed a four-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals. Yes, you heard me. THE Arizona Cardinals.

I can't wait to see the Peyton Manning face on this one.

The Cards greatest weakness has been their running game. They have guys who can throw the ball--although not exceptionally well--in Kurt Warner and Josh Tears of McCown. They have two amazing, and young, wideouts in Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Now they have James. I assume that they think J.J. Arrington (who they took in the 2nd round last year) isn't ready yet. They aren't terrible on the line (they do have Leonard Davis), but aren't great. Would they have been better off signing a offensive lineman and a) using Arrington or b) drafting a RB with the 10th overall pick this year? I don't know. I suppose Bentley was available, but as far as I know they weren't any Top 5 offensive lineman out there. That is what you get with James: a Top 5 NFL running back. He can do everything: run, catch and block. Is there going to be a Top 5 running back available at 10? For that matter, will there be a Top 5 OL at 10? I think this is a good move, nay, a great move. It helps the team not only on the field, but off of it. It adds credibility to the franchise, which can't be ignored. Players NEVER want to sign in Arizona. Now that may change. They have a good coach, and a solid cast of players. I'm not saying they are going to win the Superbowl, but this team is already a heck of a lot better than the one that went 5-11 last year. It's no Rod Tidwell signing, but still...

Uggh. I just read that Drew Rosenhaus is James' agent. Can I take everything I just said back? Fine. No comment.



Oh yeah, and the Redskins signed another receiver for Mark Brunell to throw incomplete passes to.

3 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Alex said...

The Colts were expecting James to leave.

I hope he saves his pennies in Phoenix because his stats are going to take a severe hit until the Cards get an offensive line and a Quarterback who's name isn't Kurt Warner.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Alex said...

I should have noted above that this move have the potential to be a career killer for James. He's spending the rest of his prime years on a mediocre club. This will also be his last big money deal, since he'll be 32 next time he hits the market, which is like being 40 years old at any other position. So save your pennies, Edge.

He's a talented player, but I liken this to the Blackhawks' signing of Nikolai Khabibulin. Without the strong surrounding cast, he's going to get exposed for being less talented than everyone thought. I wish I could think of a football example, but I can't, so we'll run with the Bulin Wall.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Tears of McCown is a free agent, and I'm not sure if the Cards are going to make a strong effort to resign him.

And they would have been better spending this money on defense, or an O-lineman like Kevin "Old" Mawae - the rest of the O-line crop is thin since LeCharles Bentley and Kevin Schaeffer signed already.

I'm not convinced that Edgerrin will be much more productive in Arizona than LenDale White or DeAngelo Williams would have been.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home