Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Bud, Not Buddy

Has anyone else noticed that Deon Richmond, he of "Bud" fame on The Cosby Show, is now on the NBC sitcom Teachers? You probably haven't, because the show sucks so hard it Sutters even the gayest heart. Well...now you know.

I appear to be going through a bit of a writers block right now, and am having a difficult time even spitting out these few words. I'm sure my prose wasn't on point before...actually, I am sure that it was. But right now, it feels positively Morgan-esque. In spite of the lack of verbosity, I will push forward with a few interesting sports crumbs I have nibbled on for the past week. Hopefully this will awaken my noggin from its slumber, and I can quickly return to the knavish form you faithful readers have come to love and adore.

• I have been very busy on the Red Sox front this week. Besides drafting more than a few for my fantasy league (although not enough to satisfy the seemingly insatiable A-ha animation, Colby Cosh), I purchased a membership for me and my son to the Red Sox Nation, deliberated on whether to sign up for a Red Sox email account (I am leaning towards a positive on that account. Zing!), and surfed through the message board at the Daughters of Kevin Youkilis site. Last night, to top it all off, I got my hands on the 12 DVD Red Sox 2004 World Series Collectors Set. Hallelujah! It set me back a whopping $180 bucks, but it will be worth every penny. Maybe I can even show Murphy who Dave Roberts is.

• Watching Jack Black's videocasts on the Nacho Libre site Monday night sent me on a mad Luchador hunt. Thankfully, I stumbled upon this Lucha Libre depository almost immediately, and it took me to a page where my wildest fantasies can come true. When I was in Mexico over the Christmas holidays, I caught some Luchador wrestling on the tube. I recorded it on my camera, but deleted it by accident. Let's just say that it was luchtastic.

• 2K Sports finally released 2K6 Baseball on Tuesday. Apparently not familar with the concept that a sports game should debut two weeks to a month before the season starts, 2K is spinning their release date as coinciding with Major League Baseball's Opening Day. Sure. As if that wasn't enough, the game is only debuting on two systems: PS2 and XBox. Those who have a GameCube, XBox 360 or PSP will have to wait a few more weeks to see how good Jonathan Papelbon and Felix Hernandez are against an All-Pro version of Alex Rodriguez ( I wonder if you can try and slap the ball out of first basemen's hands with him?). As I am one of those people who will have to wait and suffer, I say screw you 2K Sports. Ditto for Major League Baseball, who were foolish enough to sign an exclusive deal with a shitty company rather than signing with an excellent Canadian company, as the NFL did. On the crazier side of things, check out the musical roster for the game. I never thought I'd see the day when a Stephen Malkmus track would be on a video game. Really. I never even expected it on a Tony Hawk game, let alone a Major League Baseball one. And my God, Yo La Tengo? What's next, Neko Case and The Flaming Lips?

The Best Damn Sports Show Period, which has apparently never heard of using either a period or an ellipsis, pulled off a great April Fool's Day joke last week, with Michael Strahan and Tom Arnold getting into a fight during an interview. The set-up was that Arnold was putting out a new book with lots of "locker room" gossip, and that Strahan was angry about it. The gag fooled a lot of people, incuding co-host Rob Dibble. YouTube has the clip, but you have to log in to watch it. I don't know what is so objectionable about the clip, but such is the price for free video nowadays. Make sure to check out Chuck Norris reading out Chuck Norris Facts on the show, too.

• This clip of James Wood introducing a Monday Night Football game is old, but it is spectacular. It has La Grange, plus a whole new level of meaning. Here's more with Jennifer Garner, Samuel Jackson (with more ZZ Top), and more Jennifer Garner.

5 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger theDrizzler said...

AND Pavement (more malkmus of course), AND Belle and Sebastien. I suppose their GM mode lets you choose if the concessions sell Nachos an Beer or Sushi and Coolers. Sheesh.

Though it's better than Nickleback. Perhaps that's just baseball recognizing their consumer is more sophisticated than other sports. Except that they will probably only sell copies in San Francisco and Vancouver's West End... and maybe one copy in Edmonton.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Two things I'd like to find on the internet:

1) A list of players on video game covers. I have a hunch about success rate that is separate from the whole "Madden Curse" thing.

2) A list of songs on EA sports games since they started doing it. For at least the past 5 years, I have had a total heads-up on what songs are going to become popular about a year later. Good Charlotte. Fall Out Boy. Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The list goes on.

Hmm, maybe I have a project to work on now. I knew posting this would help!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Some of the EA soundtracks last year were quite good, notably MVP Baseball and NCAA Football. NCAA was very college rock, featuring The Clash, The Pixies, Guided by Voices, and others.

Meanwhile, MVP Baseball had Hot Hot Heat, Dropkick Murphys, and The Bravery, among others.
Full list here.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Nathan Muhly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Nathan Muhly said...

Malkmus and Yo La Tengo are obscure to be sure, but 2K sports took it even further in their 2006 hockey by having not one, but two tracks by Trans-Am. What the hell?

Notable players that have had good seasons after being on EA sports covers: Jarome Iginla, Ray Lewis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home