Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Spirit Of St. Hextall

Nashville Predators goalie Chris Mason scored a goal against the Phoenix Coyotes tonight, making him the 9th(?) NHL goalie to score a goal in an NHL game. What makes the goal particularly interesting is that Mason never even shot the puck: Geoff Sanderson, playing for the Coyotes, did. Sanderson scored on his own net, and since Mason was the last Pred to touch the puck, he got the credit. Apparently, this isn't even an anomaly: the first goal ever by a goalie--Billy Smith in 1979--was accomplished in the same manner, and Mika Noronen and Damian Rhodes scored that way, too. Mason's goal is the 11th in NHL history, which clearly identifies it as a rare accomplishment. By comparison, there have been 17 perfect games in the 130 history of Major League Baseball.

You also have to feel bad for Geoff Sanderson. He had 2 shots on goal, and was -1 on the night. Here's hoping that one of those shots, and the negative ding he received for being on the ice when Nashville scored, weren't given out on that play.

3 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger sacamano said...

I don't feel bad for Sanderson; I feel bad for Grabia, who apparently refused to watch a pretty darn exciting night of hockey as the Oilers beat the Ducks and the Canucks lost to the Sharks.

How's that boycott working out for you Andy? Or are you all talk.

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Again, with the question without the question mark. I didn't watch, and I am glad for it. I'm telling you dude, I am bad luck. Plus, the pain is too much. I'm a Brokeback Oiler fan, though. I just don't know how to quit them, and I will watch the playoffs.

And yes, I realize that I am all over the place with my logic.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger sacamano said...

Pfff. Punctuation is for suckers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home