Sunday, May 07, 2006

The NBA Playoffs: Round 2

I had no idea the second round started today, so I'm just going to make quick picks. I stand by my prediction of a Clippers vs. Heat final. Detroit doesn't have a chance as long as Shaq keeps throwing down 30 and 20.

I will note that I went 6 for 8 in round one, which redemmed my horrible performance from the NHL playoffs.

Eastern Conference
Detroit Pistons vs. Cleveland Cavaliers
This will be LeBron vs. the Pistons starting five, arguably the best team unit we've seen in two decades. I stand by my prediction of this being a virtual recreation of the classic Celtics vs. Bulls series of 1986, only the Cavs will pull out one win.

Prediction: Pistons in 5

Miami Heat vs. New Jersey Nets
Kidd can't guard anyone, especially not Dwayne Wade, and the Nets frontcourt doesn't have a prayer against Shaq with the way he's playing. This will be quick and painful.

Prediction: Heat in 5

Western Conference
San Antonio Spurs vs. Dallas Mavericks
The Spurs survived a scare against Sacramento, but it's hard to evaluate the Mavs since they beat up on Memphis, a notorious playoff choker. The two teams were close in the regular season, but I'll give the edge to the champs based on experience.

Prediction: Spurs in 7

Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Clippers
The Suns are on a roll, but the Clippers looked impressive in round one as well. I think the Clip match up better against Phoenix than the Lakers did; Cassell will give Nash fits, and the Suns don't have anyone who can guard Elton Brand. This will be another classic series, but the perennial underdogs will come out on top.

Prediction: Clippers in 7.

2 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger sacamano said...

I cannot accept that the Clippers will go deeper than they already have into the playoffs. I'm not just talking about this year's playoffs, either. I'm talking in general. If the Clippers can turn into a winning team, then my world will crumble around me.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Has anyone eviscerated Kobe about his total capitulation last night? What a clown. That guy will NEVER be as good as Michael Jordan. Anyone doubting the value of intangibles like "heart" need only watch the 2nd half of the Suns/Lakers game from last night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home