Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Schremp, Anyone?

Full credit to Abboud for coming up with this idea. And I think the boys at COI will love it. I certainly think it's inspired.

The kid scored a ton on the powerplay in the pre-season. He scored 145 points in junior this year. He has the ego of a diety and the balls of a virile bull. The Oilers are down three games to one going back to Raleigh. They can't score on the powerplay even though their hockey lives depend on it. It worked with Brad Winchester and Toby Peterson. You won't have to tell him twice to shoot the puck. He is likely to spit on Joe Camel and then shag his wife. MacT is playing with a short bench anyways. He has to at least be as effective as Georges Laraque or Rem Murray. He was called up for the playoffs, and is in Edmonton. To my understanding, he is eligible to play. So here is the question to all, with my own answer being, "hell yes!"

Should the Oilers dress Robbie Schremp for Game 5?


***Update*** I have added a new picture, based on a comment I left over at Covered In Oil:

"We need to get this idea out. I am convinced he would 'rise' to the occasion, 'save' the Oilers, and become known as 'The Hockey Jesus' for all time."

I was going to change the title of the post to "Schremp 3:16," as well, but figured it would screw up all the links to the post. Too bad, as it really tied the whole Saviour/Middle Fingers/Stone Cold Steve Austin thing together, man.

14 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't in favour of it before, but honestly, at this point, why not?

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Exactly. Put him on the 4th line, where he might get 1-2 even strength shifts, but put him into Hemsky's spot on the first power play unit and watch him shine.

As a relevant aside, back in the 1960s, the Montreal Canadiens used to break in a lot of their rookies by playing them almost exclusively on special teams. I don't see why that wouldn't work here.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

The Canadiens fact is interesting. Did you get that from your Dad, Abboud? I never knew that.

We need to let MacT know, somehow.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Maybe I'm being hopelessly romantic here, but does anyone else get excited by the thought of Robbie scoring two powerplay goals, getting the 1st star, and then skating out and giving the Carolina crowd two middle fingers? God, I get a half-chub just thinking about it. He could replace Petr Klima in Oilers lore as the greatest livesaver of all time.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Oh, and I've done my part by shamelessly linking to this post in the comments section on Oilers blogs. Someone else can call into the radio shows, and someone else can chain themselves to Rexall with dynamite and refuse to leave until the Robbie deman has been met.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Alex said...

I either heard that from my dad, or read it in one of the dozens of hockey books I read in my teen years. I can't remember off hand.

Re: Schremph, I like to picture him flipping off Brind'Amour a la Stone Cold Steve Austin right before he fires a wristshot from the halfboards off of Roddy's face and past Cam Ward.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah -- power play only, maybe, where his defensive deficiencies pose much less risk.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Black Dog said...

Andy you stole my idea!

Its a good one!

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger andy grabia said...

It is a disliked idea on the Oilers official message board, which tells me it is a stroke of genius. But the idea really is Abboud's. I just took it an ran with it.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Black Dog said...

Appears that MacT has a better idea.

Replacing LeGG with ...

Todd Harvey???

Well, he is rested ... and ...

Oh hell!

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger theDrizzler said...

I sure do hate that Oiler message board. But I think I got the Pro Schremp camp on-side in the end for you there Pops. Until the Harvey thing anyway.

Great idea. Maybe Harvey'll net a Gordie Howe hat trick for us. Except that he's a pussy and won't get his elbows up.

Go Oil. Comin' home for a game six, you'd better be there too.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

I like Harvey, but not playing Schremp is stupid. It's not surprising, considering MacT's history, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and I would have liked to see the kid play exclusively on the powerplay. I am so convinced that it would have worked that I'll probably still be saying, "well if he'd played Schremp..." a year from now.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Did they dress someone else in Hemsky's uniform tonight?

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

No shot. What a gong show that first period was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home