Monday, June 12, 2006

Time To Find A New Team To Cheer For, Kimmis

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been seriously injured in a motorcycle crash. Specifics are still unknown. For some reason, the Steelers have allowed Roethlisberger to ride his bike without even wearing a helmet.

I really have nothing to add to this news story, which makes my post kind of pointless. I wanted to be able to pass the good news on to our pal Kevin Kimmis, however, and felt this would be the best way to do it. And by "best way," I mean the way most likely to set him off on a furious rampage. The good news for Kevin is that his #7 Steelers jersey may soon demand the same high price on the football black market as Kellen Winslow's #80 Cleveland Browns jersey.

***Update*** Reports are that Roethlisberger broke his jaw and his nose, lost some teeth, has a nine-inch laceration on the back of his head, and has severely damaged both knees. He was not wearing a helmet.

7 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Nathan Muhly said...

Just...unbelievable. At least BigB won a Superbowl before needlessly ending his career. My only question is whether Kimmis will jump on a new bandwagon or just go ahead and buy that Maddox jersey he has been so desperately wanting.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Black Dog said...

No helmet.

That's not just dumb.

That's dum.

Stoopid.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger d-lee said...

He has been repeadly begged not to ride his motorcycle until he retires. We've all heard by now that he's been chewed out by Terry Bradshaw for riding, and riding without a helmet. Pennsylvania (shockingly) does not have motorcycle helmet laws, but that's no excuse to not wear one.

I don't have a clue what the specifics of his contract are, but I know that most pro athletes have clauses in their contracts expressly forbidding them to ride motorcycles in the off season. My suspicion is that he has violated the terms of his contract and freed the Steelers of insurance obligations.

What a shame.

I hate the Steelers, but I never like to see a guy get hurt like that.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Is it wrong for me to think it's hilarious?

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Alex said...

My understanding is that he doesn't actually have such a clause, though both Bradshaw and Bill Cowher have lectured him extensively on the subject.

Andy, there's some comedy in it, mostly because for the past number of months it's become clear that Big Ben is destined to become one of those athletes whose off-the-field antics overshadow their actual athletic performances. The only question was whether his career would culminate in an appearance on The Surreal Life, or Pros vs. Joes.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Alex said...

It also appears that Roethlissomething never got his motorcycle license.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

I have to admit that I am disappointed the knee injuries are now being classified as "minor."

Man, I'm a monster.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home