Friday, October 06, 2006

Buck O'Neil Passes Away

Sad, sad news.

Buck O'Neil, the legendary Negro League player who stole the show in Ken Burns' Baseball, died today at the age of 94.

I can't really add anything to the ESPN article, except to express how unbelievable I find it that he was never elected to the Hall of Fame. While statistical records are spotty at best from the Negro Leagues, his contributions that we know of on the field, as well as those off of it, demonstrate how much of an impact Buck O'Neil has had on the game of baseball. He will be sorely missed, but we're all better off because of his contributions.

Some links about Buck:
Negro League Baseball Players Association
Wikipedia
Baseball-Reference
Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
A Tribute By Two Congressmen
An Open Letter To Buck O'Neil
Induct Buck O'Neil to the Hall of Fame
O'Neil Belongs Inside This Hall

I will post more stories as I come across them.

2 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

I was just going to post on this. Sad news indeed. Shame on the Hall of Fame.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Heres a great one from KC that MC advised me of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home