Monday, May 01, 2006

Y'all Ready For This?


It's a potentially momentous day in the province of Alberta, as both the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames have the opportunity to close out their first round NHL playoff series this evening. If they win their games either tonight or on Wednesday--and those are still two big IFs-- the two teams will face each other in the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. Huge. Like Yankees-Red Sox, Lakers-Celtics, Ali-Frazier huge. I myself am at a loss, because pending an Oilers victory earlier in the evening, I may in fact be forced into temporarily cheering for the Flames. As I have stated previously, this is generally a gigantic no-no. I feel I am on solid ground, however, as I will merely be doing so in order to watch the Oil trounce the Lames in the next round.



In anticipation of the big games, I have some audio and video links. Most of these are just for Oiler fans, but I have added a couple that Flames fans will like, out of a spirit of sportsmanship and generosity. Actually, it's more about exorcising demons, but Flames fans can pretend that I care.

Audio
Zombie Nation
TNT
Song 2
The Hockey Song (Corb Lund Version)

Oilers-Detroit Video
Warm-Up Footage
Chris Pronger Hammers Dan Cleary

Just For Sacamano/Abboud Video
Separate Ways
Don't Stop Believin'

I Feel Sorry For Flames Fans Video
Fake Oilers Informercial
Harvey Hunts An Oilers Fan
The Steve Smith Goal


For any who are interested, some of the SportsMatters crew, along with others, will be meeting to watch the game tomorrow at Scholars Pub, near the UofA Campus. Feel free to join us, unless you are weird. Look for the guy with the "I Love Nerds" hat. That will be me. I won't be wearing any others gear, though. Superstitious. Go Oil!!!!!!!

12 Comments:

At 5:08 AM, Blogger theDrizzler said...

If you all stick around for an extra one after the game a Mitzel might even make an appearance.

Excited?

I am. Which would explain why I can't sleep even though I have to be on my way to the airport in, oh, five hours.

p.s. Love the Corb Lund. Every Oiler victory is rewarded with the Hockey Song, Corb style, blared full blast by the crew at the local Oiler hangout here in Vancouver.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger sacamano said...

Jesus Grabia. I swear, if you just killed our chances at a BofA by shooting your load to early I'm going to come over to Scholars and shove that nerd cap right into your sinus cavity.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Man, is the Tommy Salo 5-hole in that infomercial every funny. Nice roundup, bra.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger sacamano said...

Thanks for the Journey videos again, though. There goes my productivity for the day. Man they kick ass.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger sacamano said...

Wait a second. Isn't Don't Stop Believin' a Detroit rally song. Gawd, Grabia, you'd think you were intentionally trying to kill the Oilers chances.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Grace said...

Man that Steve Smith video was brutal. Just had to insert knife and twist it again eh?

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Don't stop believing is a Detriot song...quickly post a Foreigner video - they were always better than Journey anyhow.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Chris said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d6WkN7ioxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-QAMf5Te6k

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

Really, I said nothing other than what Matt has already said on your site. Stop making me feel bad. I'm nervous enough about the Oiler game tonight. I may be carrying a load of bricks around in my ass all day.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger andy grabia said...

P.S. Fuck Detroit fans. They don't own Journey. Half of them don't even show up to their playoff games. Hockeytown my ass. That song belongs to us, baby!

And that isn't even Lou Gramm in those Foreigner videos. Man, you gotta go old school with those dudes. None of this post "I Wanna Know What Love Is" bullshit.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Nathan Muhly said...

God guy, I can't believe you missed this gem. That shit is tiziiiight!

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or this gem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJtJNDFwmDg&search=calgary%20flames

 

Post a Comment

<< Home